Mindfulness Meditation? What is its purpose and benefit?
Mindfulness meditation is a training for the mind. It’ about unfolding our inherent potential and teaching our hearts and minds. Usually our mind is restless, distracted and dealing with side-issues.
We are often caught in thoughts of anger, refusal, jealousy and envy. And quite often we are dozing in states of boredom, self-doubt and day dreams. A negative mind means suffering. But we all can change that for ourselves.
Meditation practice is the means of clearing the mind and a developed mind is characterised by clarity, tranquillity, openness, understanding and serenity.
Mindfulness practice promotes:
- the calming of the mind
- the ability to be aware and to stay in contact with an object
- the ability to pause for a moment without intervening judgmentally
- the breaking of negative thought loops
- the ability to understand through insight
- the ability to come into contact with our feelings
- serenity in the ups and downs of life